Thursday 20 September 2012

A possible cure?

Last week I finally started treatment specifically designed for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) in the form of Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT). I was told for years that this is the only known treatment for persons with this diagnosis as it is tailor made and deals with the personality traits experienced by a sufferer of BPD.

At present I am only in the pre-commitment program, an 8 week course for participants who are enrolled in the year long DBT course, which unfortunately has quite a length wait list (I have been on the list for 6 months or so now) Already I am feeling hopeful. Just being able to be in a room with other people whom react and exhibit the same behavioural patterns as I do offers such relief and comfort.
Most other therapists I have engaged with over the past six years have not wanted to recognise my diagnosis at all, as there is a negative stigma surrounding it even in the professional medical field; however knowing that the clinicians who run this program invest all their working time on BPD and its treatment gives me hope. 

As I understand it, Dialectics refer to opposing sides and being able to acknowledge those and find a common ground. Whilst we may not like someones decision and feel strongly against it, we need to acknowledge that there is reason behind it and they feel the way they do for a reason. We don't have to like it, but we have to understand both sides of the coin. 

The coordinator of the program yesterday made a comment I found very interesting: that she could go out onto the street and pick ten random people and bring them into the classroom and every single person would benefit from the program/therapy. Whilst not everyone has the symptoms of a BDP sufferer, everyone has emotions and comes across difficulties in their lives to some extent, whether it be in relationships, internal conflict, stress, negative thinking etc. The skills that are taught in the program assist in dealing with these issues. 

The pre-commitment program that I am currently undertaking offers an underlying education and understanding on BDP, what is offered as part of the DBT program, how it can assist a person with a diagnosis of BPD, what we can expect from the program, guidelines as well as learning the clinical terminology that will be used throughout the therapy. Whilst it is mainly a theory based class, there is still a lot of discussion, which I frequently contribute too (something I rarely do) as I feel I have nothing to lose, and in the end I am there to solely helping myself.

I look forward to sharing information and skills I learn, but for now I highly encourage people with a diagnosis of BPD or who exhibit a number of symptoms to look into DBT therapy, as I am hopeful it is the solution I have been looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment